The Chadwell Award aims to provide a bridge between art school and practice as a professional artist by giving a recent Fine Art MA graduate a free studio in Bow, London for a year, together with a bursary of £1,000. In addition the Chadwell Award has a discretionary purchase grant of up to £4,000 to buy a work from the award holder at their end-of-award show.
To be eligible to apply for the Chadwell Award 2017 you must:
- be in your final year in one of:
- Postgraduade Diploma in Fine Art at The Royal Academy Schools
- MA Painting at the Royal College of Art
- MFA or MA in Fine Art at the Slade School of Fine Art
- be in financial need i.e. the award will enable you to devote more time to your studio practice
- have an artistic practice that uses or is informed by the media of painting and/or drawing. However, we are not able to consider your application if the final form of presentation of your work is time-based media or photography
- submit a completed application, both emailed and hard copy version, by 2pm on Thursday 4th May 2017
- confirm that you intend to remain in the UK for the duration of the award
The award panel, which will consist of the two founders of the Chadwell Award, an invited artist and an invited arts professional will review the applications and select a shortlist. The award holder will then be selected by taking into account:
- the application
- the applicant’s final year show (or in the case of applicants from the Slade their work towards their final year show)
- an informal interview at the final year show (or in the case of applicants from the Slade an informal interview in their studio space at the Slade)
The award period will begin on the 1st October 2017 for one year. The studio will be a Bow Arts studio in their complex at 183 Bow Road, London E3.